Monday, February 9, 2009

Thematic Photographic #35--- Down

Participating in the weekly Thematic Photographic, hosted by Carmi at Written, Inc. is one of the best activities in the blogging community. Carmi posts a thought-provoking, image-producing, topic and dozens of us reach into our imaginations and photo files to find just the right digitals to illustrate said topic. Even more fun is when the photo files don't yield just the right image, so a field shoot is in order to find the perfect inspiration.
This week's topic is down, just down: looking at the world from a different perspective. I chose to take a literal, directional interpretation and knew just what subject in my files would illustrate down... that is, one that I haven't already posted at some time. But, before I could show down, I need to go up. So, here we are at the Cape Henry Lighthouses, Virginia.
The Old Cape Henry Lighthouse is on the right. It was first lighted in 1792 and served steadfastly until it's replacement, just 357 feet away, was lighted in 1881. The New Cape Henry Lighthouse is still in operation, while its predecessor stands tall and silent, welcoming visitors to climb the cast-iron spiral staircase to its heavy-glassed upper deck. A year ago my son and I did just that... we first climbed steep stairs up the side of the dune upon which the old beacon stands. Looking at this tower it is hard to believe that it has withstood nature's and man's destructive forces for over 215 years!


Now that we are at the top we can get to the business of down! It was unbelievably narrow inside the tower, but the cast-iron staircase was firm underfoot. The windows were very thick with the distortion waves of leaded glass.


We looked down on spectacular views of Chesapeake Bay, complete with merchant ships and Navy cruisers. Then we made the trip back down to the truck. The door at the base of the stairs goes into the visitor center, where lighthouse collectibles abound!


Scott, knowing that I was snapping photos from behind, provided some action for the still shots on the way down.


There is still time to join the fun with down this week. Carmi will post a new topic Wednesday evening. I wonder what he'll come up with next!

3 comments:

carmilevy said...

I've always wanted to visit a lighthouse. I guess I live in the wrong part of the world!

What a delightful day you both had. I like his sense of humor!

Unknown said...

Looks like fun! I love lighthouses!

Anonymous said...

I get to Va Beach about once a year but haven't been to the aquarium. Need to get it on my list. Got a good chuckle at your humor, by the way :-)